installation after seeding
A GrassMaster pitch is composed of 100% natural grass reinforced with unique synthetic fibres, meticulously installed on the subbase.
- high performance polypropylene monofilament fibres (HPF), produced in-house by a patented method
- fibres are injected 18 cm deep, in a grid of approximately 2 cm x 2 cm to provide vertical reinforcement throughout the pitch
- fibres protrude 1,5-2 cm above the root zone surface
- 20 million HPF fibres reinforce every single GrassMaster pitch
GrassMaster HPF fibres perform three primary functions on the pitch:
- give stability to a predominately sand-based structure by reinforcing the profile
- provide an anchor around which the grass roots can entwine
- maintain the stability, uniformity and even level of the playing surface
years of experience in hybrid grass
hybrid grass pitches worldwide
million m² of hybrid pitches installed
UK Premier League clubs play & train on GrassMaster Solutions
A GrassMaster pitch is the favourite playing surface of athletes, groundsmen and owners around the world, for both qualitative and quantitative reasons.
Product and service expertise
- based on pioneering research since 1989
- vast experience installing and monitoring pitches all over the world
- patented technology guarantees the latest generation of the original stitched hybrid grass system
Optimized performance characteristics
- playing characteristics of 100% natural grass
- no divots, no isolated wet spots
- always a stable, smooth pitch, even with a percentage of temporary grass loss
- surface adapts to different sports with adjustable hardness, traction and ball bounce
- efficient swapping between sports and events
Healthier grass sward
- roots penetrate more deeply by intertwining with the fibres
- fibres protect the growing point of the natural grass plant
- reduced surface damage retains grass cover and root system integrity
- vertically placed fibres and sandy base enable optimal drainage
- proven track record in all climates and weather conditions
- up to 1000 playing hours / season
- 3 x more playing capacity in comparison with a 100% natural grass field
drainage capacity up to 8 x higher than other natural grass systems
- proven lifespan up to 15 years ensures legacy
- extra pitch capacity generates additional income
- transitions easily for multifunctional use such as concerts, due to its load bearing capacity
The GrassMaster installation is designed to reduce pitch downtime by overlapping the stages necessary to bring the surface to playable condition.
The first step is for a GrassMaster Pitch Consultant to make an on-site analysis of the existing sublayer determine what preparation is necessary before the hybrid system can be installed. Typical installation includes these phases:
- on-site analysis to determine what subbase renovation is required before installation
- constructing the pitch profile to the required specification (typically 6 weeks)
- implantation of the GrassMaster fibres (typically 1-2 weeks)
- seeding and initial establishment of the grass sward (< 4 weeks)
The time of year and weather conditions will influence installation time, in particular the length of time necessary for the plants to grow sufficiently.
The GrassMaster installation machine is brought on site to inject the base with fibres. These important anchors are spaced approximately 2 cm apart and 18 cm into the prepared subbase, leaving 2 cm above the surface. This density translates to 20 million fibres per pitch, or more than 48,000 km of fibre – which is more than the circumference of the Earth!
There are three ways to integrate the natural grass:
The most preferable, when time allows, is seeding the pitch after the HPF fibres have been injected. Secondly, it is possible to seed the pitch prior to fibre injection. The third choice is to stitch directly into the grass sods. In all cases, the end result is identical: the grass roots entwine with the injected fibres to create an extremely durable pitch and a level, firm, natural playing surface.
Following some stability issues in one of our natural pitches I chose to inject a vertical fibre system, with this in mind we quickly negotiated a deal with Tarkett to install a GrassMaster system, given their growing presence in La Liga it was the obvious choice, works were executed quickly and the end result is a very stable quality surface.
Paul Burgess, Director of Grounds and Environment Real Madrid CF
Maintaining the quality of your pitch is key to maintaining your reputation with players and sponsors. Once you have a GrassMaster or PlayMaster reinforced natural grass pitch installed, managing it is similar to taking care of a fully natural grass pitch, with some crucial improvements. Of course, how your pitch is used will affect management practices, because every sport and activity cause a different kind of wear.
Maintenance programmes will also vary depending on the venue, such as enclosed sports stadiums and open training grounds. Many factors determine the maintenance management programme that the grounds manager will follow, including:
- natural light availability
- air movement
- local climatic conditions
- site specific microclimate
- frequency and type of use
GrassMaster management benefits
- strongly anchored, even pitch requires less or no filling (sand), rolling or dragging
- less damage from play, so fewer repairs are required
- faster recovery than natural grass
- excellent drainage enables irrigating closer to match time, shortening downtime needed between uses and avoids match cancellation due to a flooded pitch
- GrassMaster pitches can be stripped off the top layer when necessary, without any damage to the synthetic fibres
- for a softer field, GrassMaster can be aerated more deeply, to suit your specific needs
GrassMaster pitch maintenance steps:
- mowing: cutting the grass according to the parameters
- aeration: de-compaction and creating air/pore space in the profile
- scarifying and raking: various forms of machine processes to remove unwanted materials
- irrigation: water requirements are similar to a PlayMaster pitch built with a USGA sand subbase profile and depend on the subbase structure onto which the GrassMaster is installed
- plant nutrition: applying granular and liquid fertilizers enables the primary nutrients to nourish the plant
- disease and pest control: disease and pest control: adhere to PSM (Plant Stress Management) for “integrated plant protection”, observing the necessary Health and Safety acts
- renovation: annual removal of all vegetation and organic material
- machine maintenance: to increase machine lifespan, decrease downtime, and protect the pitch surface
The outstanding feature of GrassMaster hybrid technology is that even with a percentage of temporary grass loss, play can continue on a pitch that is stable, uniform, and attractive.
Every GrassMaster installation includes the Pitch Monitoring package, an integral part of our service, to make sure that you have the knowledge required to get the best performance from your new hybrid pitch. Generally, the Pitch Monitoring package includes several days of on-site follow-up, training and advice for the grounds team by a GrassMaster Solutions hybrid pitch consultant, from installation through the following twelve months.
GrassMaster offers a softer feel than a traditional artificial surface, as well as a lower incidence of injuries related to burns and impact, whilst maintaining the longevity.
Andy jackson, Head Groundsman Stoke City FC
Hybrid vs. natural grass
Compare GrassMaster and PlayMaster to natural grass to find the solution that fits your needs.
Find out how GrassMaster Solutions got started back in 1989 and learn about its evolution in the sports grass industry.